Our upcoming link(s) to the Dinosaur's of Culpeper County!' General Robert E. Lee - Headquartered in Culpeper several times during the Civil War Clara Barton - Famous nurse and founder of the Red Cross performed her first field duty in Culpeper at the Battle of Cedar Mountain Patrick Henry - Argued cases concerning religious freedom in Culpeper, Va. Courthouse A.P. Hill - Born in Culpeper, Va. and lived in what is now called the A.P. Hill Building on the corner of Main & Davis St. / a celebrated Civil War hero Daniel Boone - Lived in Stevensburg, VA for 3 years during the 1750's Walt Whitman - Famous American poet, also served as a nurse in Culpeper, Va. during the Civil War Ulysses S. Grant - Commander of the Union Army and later President of the US, resided in the Town of Culpeper for several months during the winter and spring of 1864 Lafayette - Marched through Culpeper, Va.during the Revolutionary War and returned in the early 1800's to be wined & dined at Greenwood George Washington - Employed by Culpeper County 1749-1751 as the official surveyor in Va.

 

  



facts & figures  |  mission statement  |  board of trustees


CULPEPER COUNTY HISTORY

Just a little bit ...

- 215 million year old dinosaur tracks (largest number of tracks found at any single site in the United States);
- Native American village sites and tool and weapons factories;
- home of the famous American Revolution militia, the Culpeper Minute Men;
- the ruins of an extensive and well traveled 19th century canal system on the Rappahannock river;
- trenches, fortifications and artifacts left behind from 160+ battles and the largest encampment (120,000 troops) of the War Between the States;
- home of Eppa Rixey, pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds and a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame;
- a vast array of text book examples of turn of the century commercial architecture, a national award winning conservation program known as the Mountain Run Watershed Project;
- farmland under successful cultivation for more than 250 years.

The list goes on, but the message is clear. Culpeper is brimming with historical attributes. Furthermore, a discussion of the natural assets, strategic location and economic vitality is yet another story for another day.


HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM

Just a little bit ...

...established as the Culpeper Cavalry Museum in 1975
...opened at the Davis Str. location in 1992 as the
   Museum of Culpeper History
...opened at 803 S. Main Street July 2000
...opened at 113 S. Commerce Street, April 2014
...governed by a volunteer self-perpetuating
   15 member Board of Trustees
...funding sources include: local, memberships, donations,
   fund raisers, and gift shop sales
...visitations currently average about 10,000 per year,
   representing every state and to date 36 countries.


FACILITIES

Just a little bit ...

The Museum is now at the historic train depot at 113 S. Commerce Street in downtown Culpeper. The facility has a Museum Shop, multiple exhibit galleries and a cafe coming in the near future (by late 2014).

 

For more information call 540-829-1749
.

Copyright 2001-2014 Museum of Culpeper History - All rights reserved
Web site maintenance by: Blue Ridge Web Works LLC