COSTUME SOCIETY OF AMERICA GRANT AWARDED
The Museum has received a wonderful grant to re-house the textile collection, thanks to the generousity of the Costume Society of America. We recieved one of four such grants, and our peoject will enable us to re-house and catalogue all of the wonderful textiles in our collection. Ms. Pam Stewart, guest curator, will oversee this project. Anyone interested in volunteering to assist Ms. Stewart should contact the Museum's director, Lee Langston-Harrison, at 540-829-5954. The project will start in July, 2013 and continue until completed.
LIBATIONS ON THE LAWN STARTS IN MAY, 2013
Our annual summer series, Libations on the Lawn starts the first Friday in May, and continues each month through September!
Wines provided by local vineyards (sponsored by members of the museum and/or the vineyards), foods by local restaurants, and live music!!!
Rain or shine - members $8; non-members $9; non-drinkers and kids over six $5.
This is a GREAT opportunity to take your shoes off and enjoy the summer evenings on the lawn. Y'all come, ya hear?!
EXCITING NEWS! OUR CIVIL WAR FOLIO IS A HIT! ON SALE NOW
VIEWS THEY SAY, WORDS THEY WROTE...
During much of 2011 the Museum worked with photographer, Eduardo Galliani, to produce a folio filled with his exceptional black & white "tritone" photos of area battlefields and other Civil War-related scenes. We then chose passages from soldier's letters, poems, or words from period songs to match each image, making this folio a one-of-a-kind commemorative book.
This is our tribute to the 150th anniversary of the war.
What a great gift for the man or woman who "has everything" ... we guarentee they won't have this!
For more information, or to reserve a book, call the Museum at 540-829-1749.
ON SALE NOW: $35 boxed
EXPANDED MUSEUM HOURS ARE A SUCCESS!
Museum NOW remains open EVERY DAY of the week in an attempt to capture all of the visitors who come to Culpeper on weekends.
Grand Opening is on Feb. 9th, 2013
Monday - Saturday: 10:00am to 5:00pm
Sunday: 1:00pm to 5:00pm
Children of all ages are encouraged to get on the floor and play at the Museum. There are three "KidzKorners" where children can get creative.
1. Name That Dinosaur: kids can choose their FAVORITE dino and name him or her by using little plastic letters. "Fredasaurious" can then go home with your youngster. There are several resource books, crayons, markers, and stickers available for creative play time with "Culley" the Culpeper dinosaur.
2. Play with your food: learn how Native Americans processed their food using a stone mortar and grinding stone (pestle). What do we use today to process our food?
3. Playing Dress up: Dig into a period trunk and find something that fits! Kids can see how children in colonial Virginia dressed to go "a visitin'".
4. "Camp Henry," a mini-sized camp tent, representative of those at Camp Henry, a Civil War encampment near Culpeper's Court House on present-day Yowell Meadow Park. Play to your heart's content!
5. NEW this year: a mini reading library for kids - focusing on history and dinosaurs!
6. NEW this year: a drawing table for the budding artist!
7. NEW this year: learn to set a formal dining table! It's not a lost art!
BECOME A MUSEUM FRIEND
BECOME A GUARDIAN ANGEL!
Join the discovery,fun and games, and educational opportunities at the Museum by becoming a Friend of the Museum today.
HELP THE MUSEUM PRESERVE THE STORIES OF CULPEPER CITIZENS -- KEEP THEIR MEMORIES ALIVE.
Your support as a "Friend," with an annual donation to the Museum, insures that our doors stay open.
Send your donation to Museum of Culpeper History
803 S. Main Street
Culpeper, VA 22701
or e-mail information to Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
MINUTEMAN: $ 50 - $199
COLONIAL: $200 - $599
EXPLORER: $600 - $999
HERITAGE: $1000 - $4,999
COUNCIL: $5,000 and above
OR, COME BY and drop off your donation.
OR, go to our webpage (www.culpepermuseum.com and push on the link for Network for Good, our on-line donation program).
THANK YOU for helping to make the Museum of Culpeper History, "the best community museum in Virginia."
For more information call
Copyright © 2001-2011 Museum of Culpeper History - All rights reserved
Web site maintenance by: Blue Ridge Web Works LLC